Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Eva B page 15

Eva B page 15 by ric gustafson


I remember that day in Berlin when I carried a torch with thirty thousand students. I wore black calf high heels. We stood in front of Berlin University as SS men threw books out the library windows. I watched as twenty thousand volumes of books were being ready to burn. I watched as Goebbels walked over and lit the fire. " Proust" he yelled as he threw a book into the dancing flames. Bormann walked over to the fire. " Zola" he said with a sneer as he threw a book into the flames. " Thomas Mann" yelled someone as they threw a book into the fire. " H G Wells" yelled another.
I did not want to be left out so I threw a book by Hemingway into the growing fire.
As I watched Adi's secretaries work and type, I think about the other women in his past. He was fond of Marlene Dietrich but loved Geli. 
One time I said to Adi " you don't believe in God".
" My pretty little Evchen, I believe in Napoleon".


research help: ' The Patient Ecstasy of Fraulein Braun' by Lavonne Mueller


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: