Friday, July 19, 2013

Eva B page 3

Eva B page 3 by ric gustafson


This Bunker is now my home. My home is now eighteen rooms made out of concrete. Before the Bunker I was hidden hardly anybody knew who I was. Our cook Fraulein Manzialy makes cakes and puts them into a box for Adi. She wears a swastika badge on her apron and makes jellied pancakes for Adi. Adi never touches beer even though I enjoy a half bottle of schnapps. Goebbels and his wife Magda enjoy raspberry liqueur before dinner. Adi never salutes anymore like he used to. My first day in the Bunker, Adi spent all day conferring with Goebbels and Bormann. He has a strange sleeping habit of not going to bed until early in the morning and then only sleeping a few hours. Adi's private apartment has gas proof double doors and a scale by his bed because he worries about his weight.
My sleeping area has an old sewing machine desk for a table and a lampshade that I have painted blue and white. Draped around my mirror is a red velvet cloth and a scarf. My dressing table is a board over ammunition boxes where I keep a comb and brush given to me by Adi.
For my birthday, Adi gave me a Rolleiflex camera so I could take pictures of us. Adi's dog is named Blondi. At the end of the hall is the telephone switchboard. Party Secretary Bormann has the smallest room. His nickname is ' the Grey Eminence' because he likes to stay in the background. An iron spiral staircase leads to the upper bunker. At the top of the stairs was the communal dining area. I smoke even though Adi hates it.


research help: ' The Patient Ecstasy of Fraulein Braun' by Lavonne Mueller


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: