Thursday, July 18, 2013

Eva B page 1

Eva B page 1 by ric gustafson


When we first met, I was young and had no idea how important he was. He introduced himself as Herr Wolf and I thought that he was just an up and comer in the government. At the time I was working at Herr Hoffman's photo shop at 42 Wiedenmeyerstrasse in Munich. He would stop by, buy film and look at the cameras.
He had pale blue eyes and he seemed very ordinary. Many days he came in and looked at the Minox and the new Leica. He had a soft Austrian accent and one day, he asked me to go with him to an event involving the best and finest of Munich. Herr Wolf came wearing a trench coat, a black velour hat and a clipped mustache. I wore a maroon party dress with a pleated skirt and puff sleeves. We had a wonderful dinner with walnut cake and pistachio ice cream for dessert.
He did not call for two weeks and wondered what I had done. One day he came carrying a box of film for Herr Hoffmann. He asked me out for lunch and I accepted. As we ate, he asked if I had read ' The Jewish State' by Theodor Herzl. I said no and told him that the only Jew I knew was my mother's cook.


research help: ' The Patient Ecstasy of Fraulein Braun' by Lavonne Mueller


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: