Sunday, July 29, 2012

little drummer boy page 2

little drummer boy page 2 by ric gustafson


Eli stood in front of the officer. " I am the enrolling officer of the 107th New York Volunteer Regiment". " Lieutenant Simpson, who do we have here?".
" This is Eli and he wants to be our new drummer".
The officer handed the boy a blue drum that had a red white and blue eagle on it. " Play something for us".
Eli picked up the worn drum and played a march tune and then a long roll.
Both officers smiled at each other. " I believe we have our new drummer".
The enrolling officer handed Eli a piece of paper. " Son, because of your age we need your father's permission".
" I don't have a father".
" What do you mean?".
" I look after myself".


research help: ' The Storm Before Atlanta' by Karen Schwabach


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: