Thursday, September 5, 2013

Eva B page 17

Eva B page 17 by ric gustafson


Berlin was never my favorite city. Adi was always meeting heads of state and diplomats. I was invisible and alone. Finally, I can spend more time with Adi but the city is now in ruins. Above this concrete Bunker are mangled homes, smoke filled air and broken telephone poles. Sirens are constantly blaring and the ground shakes. Money floats through the streets and stores and apartment buildings have been blasted to rubble.
Few birds still fly here. Sparrows and wrens try to fly through the thick smoke. The Zoo had been hit by thirty six bombs. The young soldier leads me toward the Zoo.
" We shouldn't stray too far from the Bunker".
I smiled. " I know you will protect me".
When we return to the Chancellery garden, Lieutenant Kerscher runs out. " The Fuhrer wishes to see you in his quarters".
As I reach the Bunker steps, I turn and look around at the madness around me.
Berlin is dying and I will soon become Adi's wife.


research help: ' The Patient Ecstasy of Fraulein Braun' by Lavonne Mueller


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: