Monday, May 6, 2024

True Grit page 8

 True Grit page 8 by ric gustafson


I watched as Cogburn and Lee played cards.
" I hope you have been thinking about my proposition".
" I will need 100 dollars to go against Ned Pepper".
I gave him a stern look. " You are trying to take advantage of me".
Cogburn stared at me. " I'm giving you my children's rate".
" I'm not a child".
" There will be expenses".
I noticed a nearby jug. " I will not keep you in whisky".
" It won't be easy smoking Ned out". He took a sip of whisky. " He will be hold up down in the Choctaw Nation".
" Do we have a deal?".
" 100 dollars is my price baby sister". He grinned. " There it is".
" I will have the money in a day or so". I stood up to leave. " I will talk to you again".
Cogburn and Lee began to play cards again.
" I want you to walk with me to the Monarch boardinghouse".
" Afraid of a booger man?".
" No".


research help: ' True Grit' by Charles Portis


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: