Sunday, May 5, 2024

Martha Custis page 3

 Martha Custis page 3 by ric gustafson


Martha stood in the foyer to receive this new guest. His name was Colonel Washington.
" I'm sorry to intrude Richard". He smiled. " When I was at William's Ferry I thought of you".
Martha stared at Colonel Washington. He stood over six feet. His eyes were blue. His face was scarred.
They walked into the parlour. Washington sat down in an open chair.
" So George". Richard smiled. " What news of the war?".
Mary looked concerned. " You don't look well George".
" I have been suffering from dysentery for months".
A servant appeared. " Dinner is ready".
Mary stood up. " Shall we?".
After dinner, Martha was concerned about the Colonel. " I hope dinner was ok Colonel".
" It was". He gave a weak smile. " I just need to be careful until I am cured".
Then Martha noticed that it was just her and the Colonel in the room.


research help: ' Washington's Lady' by Nancy Moser


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: