Sunday, May 19, 2024

True Grit page 15

 True Grit page 15 by ric gustafson


I walked over to Stonehill's office. He was wrapped in a shawl. I sat down next to him.
" I was just told a young girl fell into a well on the Towson Road". He sighed. " I thought perhaps it was you".
" No, it was not".
He shook his head. " I am not surprised".
" I would like to take one of the ponies off your hands".
" And which one is that?".
" The black one with the white stockings in front". I smiled. " I am going to call him Little Blackie".
Stonehill scratched his chin in thought. " What is your offer?".
" I will pay the market price of ten dollars a head".
Stonehill shook his head. " I paid you twenty dollars a head this morning".
" That was the market price this morning".
Stonehill sold me the pony for eighteen dollars.
The smith filed his hoofs and nailed shoes on him.
Later, I decided to go over to Lee's store.


research help: ' True Grit' by Charles Portis


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: