Monday, May 20, 2024

True Grit page 16

 True Grit page 16 by ric gustafson


I walked to the back of the store. I noticed someone sitting across from Marshal Cogburn. I frowned. It was LaBoeuf. " What are you doing here?".
" Hidy". He smiled. " I'm having a conversation with the Marshal".
" This jaybird calls himself LaBoeuf". Cogburn grinned. " He claims to be a Texas Ranger".
" I know who he is".
" He's looking for the same man we are".
" I told him at the boardinghouse that we were not interested in his help".
Cogburn stared at Maddie. " He wants to throw in with us".
I shook my head. " He has gone behind my back".
Cogburn looked at the two of us. " What happened baby sister?".
" We don't need him".
" I don't know about that". Cogburn sat back in his chair. " His Sharps carbine might come in handy".
" I have my horse and everything is ready". I stared at Cogburn. " We don't need him".
" I must have the wrong man Cogburn". LaBoeuf shook his head. " You let little girls hooraw you?".
Out of his good right eye, Cogburn gave the Texan a cold stare. " You watch your mouth LaBoeuf".


research help: ' True Grit' by Charles Portis


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: