Monday, February 17, 2014

my name is Jesus page 7

my name is Jesus page 7 by ric gustafson


I stand in the distance as my cousin named John is in cold brown water up to his waist. He stares out at the shore where lines of believers are standing to be cleansed of their sins. These people are mostly poor working and are mystified by my cousin and his radical teachings. My cousin has long hair, sunburned skin and an unkempt beard. He lives alone in the desert and exists on a diet of locusts and honey. His tunic is stitched from the skin of a camel and cinches around his waist with a leather belt.
As I watched, a tax collector cried out. " Teacher, what should we do?".
" Don't collect any more than you are required".
A soldier cried out. " And what should we do?".
" Don't exhort money, don't accuse falsely and be content with your pay".
As John immersed the next person, a voice shouted out. " Who are you?".
" I am not the Christ".
A Pharisee cried out. " Then who are you?". The voice hesitated. " Elijah".
" No!".
" Give us an answer so we can take it back to those who sent us".
John grins. " I am the voice of one calling in the desert".


research help: ' Killing Jesus' by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: