Sunday, June 30, 2024

True Grit page 26

 True Grit page 26 by ric gustafson


Marshal Cogburn heard the shot. Lucky Ned Pepper's horse fell. The shot came from LaBoeuf's rifle. The bandits were confused about where the shot came from. 
Cogburn stood up. " I told him to wait for my signal". He stood up and began shooting his Winchester repeating rifle. He killed Haze where he stood. Lucky Ned Pepper's horse was shot dead. Greaser Bob was able to get back on his horse. Ned Pepper cried out for help. Greaser Bob quickly came over and helped him onto his horse. They rode away with the other bandits.
When I came up to Cogburn and LaBoeuf, they were arguing.
" I told you not to fire until I gave you the signal".
" I heard the three signal shots from Pepper".
" So you decided to fire".
LaBoeuf stared at Cogburn. " I thought the fight had started".
" Thanks to you". The Marshal's voice was getting louder. " We lost Pepper again".
" Let's go after them right now".
" No". Cogburn shook his head. " We're going to take the dead bodies to McAlester's".


research help: ' True Grit' by Charles Portis


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: