Wednesday, June 19, 2024

True Grit page 23

 True Grit page 23 by ric gustafson


" By the time I get you back to Fort Smith". Cogburn's voice hesitated. " That leg will be all swelled up".
" Your trying to get at me" exclaimed Moon.
" If you give me some information on Pepper". Cogburn sighed. " I will take you to McAlester's tomorrow and get that leg taken care of".
" Don't listen to him Moon".
" I can't help it". He winced. " My leg is giving me fits".
I was sent out to gather firewood. When I returned, Cogburn told me to slice up salt meat and corn dodgers. 
At one point, Moon was wincing from the pain in his leg. He stared at me.
" Who are you?". His voice got louder. " What are you doing here?".
" I'm Mattie Ross from near Dardanelle Arkansas". I frowned at him. " I'm looking for a man named Chaney".
Quincy stared at me. " Why do you want him so badly?".
" He killed my father". My voice choked up. " If you will help the Marshal, I have a lawyer back home who could help you".


research help: ' True Grit' by Charles Portis


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: