Tuesday, June 4, 2024

True Grit page 18

 True Grit page 18 by ric gustafson


I led Little Blackie across the creek. I thought that Marshal Cogburn and LaBoeuf  had ridden ahead. As I came up to some brush, Cogburn and LaBoeuf appeared on the path. Little Blackie reared. I was almost thrown off.
LaBoeuf pulled me off Little Blackie. He threw me to the ground. I was face down. LaBoeuf took a willow bush limb and began switching my leg with it.
It began to hurt. I began to cry. I looked at Cogburn. " Are you going to let him do this?".
" You know something baby sister". Cogburn gave me a look of sympathy. " I don't believe I will".
Cogburn frowned at LaBoeuf. " Put the awitch away".
" No". He kept switching my leg.
" That will do LaBoeuf".
" I am going ahead with what I started".
Cogburn took out his cedar handled revolver. Cocked it and pointed it at LaBoeuf. " It would be the biggest mistake you ever made".
He threw away the switch. " You are always taking her side".
Cogburn gave us an angry stare. " Both of you get on your horse".


research help: ' True Grit' by Charles Portis


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: