Thursday, October 5, 2023

Shoeless Joe Jackson page 2

 Shoeless Joe Jackson page 2 by ric gustafson


Our house was an old farm home. It was square with a verandah on three sides. On the north side of the verandah was a wooden porch swing. My wife Annie and I would sit on that swing on humid August nights. That night, I told Annie about the voice and what it wanted me to do.
" If it makes you happy". She grinned at me. " You should do it".
What can I say about my wife. Her hair is the color of cayenne pepper. She wears blue jeans and T shirts. She was the child of my landlady. She chose me as her occupation. Eight years later, we were married. We stayed in Iowa. I rented this farm at first. Then I bought it. 
I smiled at Annie one night. " This is ours".
Annie grinned at me again. " If it makes you happy, you should do it".
I knew it was hard for her to say that.
I carried her words in the back of my mind.


research help: ' Shoeless Joe' by W.P. Kinsella


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: