Wednesday, February 10, 2021

I Sendler page 1

 I Sendler page 1 by ric gustafson


It was Sept 24 1939. Irena Sendler was staring out a window toward Ludwicki Street. She could hear artillery near. 
" Do you hear that?". It was the voice of her frail mother. " Is it theirs or ours?".
" Does it matter?". Irena frowned. " It draws closer each day".
She kept looking out the window for her husband to return.
Then, she left to walk the deserted streets of Warsaw to find her office.
On arrival, she thought the building was deserted. The only one there was her supervisor.
" Mr Dobraczynski". She grinned. " I need some money to get the soup kitchens going again".
" Irena, we have no phones or electricity". He smiled. " Go home and protect your family".
" Sir, I have connections". She begged. " Please let me open the soup kitchens again".
" Ok Irena". He had a worried look. " I will give you the money".


research help: ' Irena's War' by James D Shipman


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: