Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Colonel Archibald Gracie page 2

Colonel Archibald Gracie page 2 by ric gustafson


I was enjoying a good night's rest when I was awakened by a shock and noise on the starboard side. I got up from the bed, turned on the electric light and then glanced at my watch which was on the dresser. It said 11:45. I opened my cabin door, looked into the corridor but could not see or hear anything. I put on some underclothes, shoes and socks, trousers and a Norfolk coat.
I walked into the corridor and then walked up to the third deck which was called the boat deck. It was a beautiful night without clouds and the stars were shining brightly. I saw no activity so I walked to A Deck on the port side and looked over the rail to see if I could see anything wrong. I noticed Mr Ismay and a member of the crew hurrying up the stairway. Ismay was hatless and wore a day suit.
My friend Clinch Smith walked up to me and showed me some ice that he had in his hands. A fellow passenger ran up and told us that he witnessed an iceberg that was at least fifty feet above A Deck. Then I learned that the mail room was flooded but the postal clerks were still at their posts. They transferred two hundred bags of registered mail. Right away, I noticed a list on the companionway floor.


research help: ' Titanic, a survivor's story' by Colonel Archibald Gracie


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: