Thursday, April 3, 2014

Colonel Archibald Gracie page 3

Colonel Archibald Gracie page 3 by ric gustafson


I went to my stateroom and put my possessions three large traveling bags. Steward Cullen came and helped me put on a long Newmarket overcoat and my life preserver. As I walked to Deck A on the port side toward the stern, I heard the band began to play. I did not recognize any of the tunes but they were cheerful to listen to.
I pointed and showed the ladies who were near me a bright light that was probably about five miles away. I told them not to worry that a ship would come to our rescue. I found out later that the light I saw belonged to the steamer Californian which was bound from London to Boston. It's Captain was Captain Stanley Lord. This steamer sent two ice warnings earlier including one saying that the steamer was stopped due to ice.
After forty five minutes, Captain Smith gave the order to lower the lifeboats. He ordered his crew to allow only women and children. I went to the Boat Deck on Deck A port side to help assist ladies into the boats. Sixth Officer J.P. Moody was in charge. I went into the ship to locate two of my table mates. Mrs Churchhill Candee and Mr Edward Kent. I checked the smoking room and found four people, Major Butt, Clarence Moore, Frank Miller and a man I did not know. I smiled after my friend Clinch Smith told me that Mrs Candee was already in one of the boats. From the Boat Deck, I heard a rocket and then Morse red and blue lights.


research help: ' Titanic a survivor's story' by Colonel Archibald Gracie


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: