Sunday, April 6, 2014

Colonel Archibald Gracie page 5

Colonel Archibald Gracie page 5 by ric gustafson


I walked over and began to help the crew with the davits on the forward starboard side. They were trying to adjust them and then lower the Engelhardt boat from the roof of the officer's house. They were having trouble removing the canvas cover and cutting the boat loose. Some long oars were placed against the wall to break the fall of the boat. The boat fell onto the Boat Deck smashing the oars.
Clinch Smith and I heard water coming from the bridge toward the forward hatch. We decided to go to the stern of the ship along with a mass of other passengers. Men, women and now steerage passengers from down below were now converging to the stern. Clinch and I reached the roof and an iron railing. To my dismay, as Clinch tried to reach the roof  water caved on him and swallowed him into the cold water. I was devastated as I had now lost my dear friend.


research help: ' Titanic a survivor's story' by Colonel Archibald Gracie


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: