Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Colonel Archibald Gracie page 1

Colonel Archibald Gracie page 1 by ric gustafson


On Sunday morning April 14, there was hardly a ripple on the water. Captain Smith has been trying to improve upon the previous day's speed. In the last twenty four hours, the ship had traveled 546 miles. As the day went on, I had heard that the ship had received wireless messages from passing steamers to the presence of icebergs and icefloes. I noticed that it was getting colder outside and that I needed to dress warmer.
Sunday morning I decided to exercise. The instructor of the gymnasium was T.W. McCawley. This little man in white flannels had a broad English accent. He showed me how to use the bicycle, the rowing machine and the camel.
Then I went to the church service in the dining saloon. We sang from number 418 of the hymnal which was ' Prayer for those at Sea'. This was the last hymn sung on board the ship. I've been reading a book titled ' Old Dominion'. On this Sunday, I've been visiting with Mr and Mrs Isidor Straus. The couple was excited about communicating with their son and his wife  who were on the passing ship Amerika.
That night, I ate with James Clinch Smith and Edward A Kent. Afterwards, we adjourned to the Palm Room where we had coffee and listened to the ship's band. From there, we went to the smoking room and conversed with other men including John B Thayer, George Widener and Clarence Moore. My stay in the smoking room was short and I retired early to my room.


research help: ' Titanic a survivor's story' by Colonel Archibald Gracie


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: