Tuesday, February 14, 2012

the Prodigal Son 2012 page 2

the Prodigal Son 2012 page 2 by ric gustafson


During the summer before my senior year, I asked Dad for some of my investment money so I could travel, relax and try to discover myself. Dad was not happy but thought maybe this time to myself might help me. Jeff began to get jealous of me because he was working hard at the plant and I wanted to go out and enjoy the world.
I left with just a backpack on and my investment money looking forward to seeing the world. For the next two years, I worked from town to town and state to state. I stayed in motels, ate at greasy diners and once in a while would buy alcohol or drugs. During this time, I heard that my father still loved me and was patiently waiting for me to come home. Jeff was getting more and more jealous of me and getting angry at my father. After two years, my investment money ran out and I could not afford a place to live or eat.
I had trouble finding a job because I did not have a high school diploma. Finally, I got a job working on a pig farm shoveling slop to hogs. I got so hungry that I considered eating what I was feeding to the hogs. I started thinking about our middle class home and that we had plenty to eat. My stomach now was always growling and I was starving. I decided to go back home, get on my knees and apologize to my father. I hope that Jeff will forgive me also.
The next morning, I put on my backpack and started for home.



Everyone take care. Love Ric

No comments: