Sunday, November 12, 2023

Shoeless Joe Jackson page 4

 Shoeless Joe Jackson page 4 by ric gustafson


One night, Annie heard something outside. She walked over and looked out a window. She smiled. She turned to me. " There's a man out there".
I stared at my wife. " Is it Shoeless Joe Jackson?".
" I don't know". She kept staring out the window. " He's wearing an old fashioned uniform".
I walk outside onto the verandah. On the porch wall, I find the switch. The floodlights behind the left field fence came on. 
There standing in left field was Shoeless Joe Jackson. His feet were spread wide. His body was bent forward from the waist. His hands were on his hips. He is waiting.
I walk over and sit in the bleacher behind the third base fence. I yell to him. " How does it play?".
He smiles back at me. " The ball bounces true".
" My father loved baseball". Memories of my father began to invade my mind. " The smell of the ballpark and the grass".
Shoeless Joe smiled. " For me it was the smells, the sounds and the crowds".
I wanted to ask him about the scandal. I decided against it.
" Ray, if you could finish the infield". He grinned. " I know of others who would love to come and play".
Ray smiled. " I also know a catcher who would love to come and play".
" We'll try him out". Shoeless Joe looked around. " Is this heaven?".
" No, it's Iowa".


research help: ' Shoeless Joe' by W.P. Kinsella


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: