Friday, October 25, 2013

M Antoinette page 1

M Antoinette page 1 by ric gustafson


Schonbrunn May 1766


Countess Von Brandeiss was watching us as my sister Charlotte and I played on the manicured hillside above the palace. I swatted at a bee that was flying around me. " Madame, can I tell you a secret?".
" Yes, Liebchen".
I sat up, walked over and whispered into her ear. " Sometimes I wish that you were my mother".
She covered her mouth with a hand in total surprise. " Why do you think that Madame Antonia?".
" You spend more time with us than she does".
" Little one, you know that your maman  is the Empress of Austria".
" Maman had sixteen children including me and Charlotte".
She frowned. " Only thirteen now Liebchen".
Smallpox had taken three of my siblings already and luckily I had survived my own bout with it at age 2.
Countess had brown hair under a straw bonnet and a white linen cap. She kissed the top of my head. " You have beautiful strawberry blond curls and blue eyes". She pointed a finger at me. " It is now time for you and Charlotte's French lessons".
Charlotte and I rolled our eyes. " Yes Countess Brandeiss".


research help: ' Becoming Marie Antoinette' by Juliet Grey


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: