Sunday, July 28, 2024

True Grit page 33

 True Grit page 33 by ric gustafson


As I was standing next to  Farrell Permalee, he all of a sudden pointed. " There they be".
I looked to the northwest. I saw two riders at the top of the ridge. It was Marshal Cogburn and LaBoeuf. My horse Little Blackie was tied behind them. Then Rooster shot a pistol. Then Pepper fired an answering shot. Then they rode off over the hill.
" I thought they had grit". I gave Pepper a disappointed stare. " We call it something else in Yell County".
" Chaney, unsaddle that gray".
Chaney looked confused. " I thought I was riding the gray".
" I want you to stay here with the girl until we get back".
I shook my head. " I'm not staying here with Tom Chaney".
" You will if I tell you to".
I stared at Pepper. " He will kill me".
" No, he won't". He stared at Chaney. " If you harm her, you will not get paid".


research help: ' True Grit' by Charles Portis


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

 

No comments: