Saturday, July 13, 2024

True Grit page 29

 True Grit page 29 by ric gustafson


I woke up the next morning. I felt like I had just closed my eyes. There was not much water left in the canteen. I grabbed my canvas bucket and revolver. I decided to walk down a steep hill to look for a spring. The slope I was walking down was gentle at first. Then it fell off sharply. As I descended, I had to grab bushes. When I reached the creek bed, I heard noises. On the other side of the spring, a man was watering horses. His back was turned. I knew who it was. I was in shock. He heard me and turned around. He pointed his rifle at me.
" I know you". He frowned. " Your name is Mattie".
I gave him an icy stare. " And I know you Tom Chaney".
" You're little Mattie the bookkeeper". He put his rifle back on his shoulder. " What are you doing here?".
" I came to fetch water".
Chaney looked at me. " Why are you here?".
" I'm going to take you back to Fort Smith".
" I'm not going". Chaney smiled. " What do you think about that?".
" If you refuse to go". I pointed the revolver at him. " I will have to shoot you".
" Then you better cock your piece".
I slowly pulled the hammer back. I aimed at his belly.
Chaney sneered. " I don't believe you'll do it".
I pulled the trigger.


research help: ' True Grit' by Charles Portis


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: