Monday, July 1, 2024

True Grit page 27

 True Grit page 27 by ric gustafson


After leaving the dead bodies at Mr McAlester's, Mrs McAlester served us a nice country dinner. We even had buttermilk. LaBoeuf had his injured arm cleaned and tightly bound. Cogburn had a blacksmith put a shoe on his horse Bo. LaBoeuf had his Sharps rifle repaired.
Marshal Cogburn was anxious to leave.
" Well baby sister, the time has come for me to move fast". His voice hesitated. " It's a hard day's ride to where I am going".
I stared at the Marshal. " No, I am coming with you".
" Mrs McAlester will see to your comfort".
" Let her stay". LaBoeuf grinned at me. " She's already come this far".
" I will be back tomorrow or the next day with Chaney".
I stamped my foot in protest. " I am not quitting when we are so close".
" Cogburn, she's won her spurs".
Cogburn held up a hand. " All right, let it go".


research help: ' True Grit' by Charles Portis


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: