Thursday, April 25, 2024

True Grit page 6

 True Grit page 6 by ric gustafson


I looked at Cogburn. " The government will pay you two dollars for bringing him in". I smiled. " On top of that I will pay you a fifty dollar reward". 
"You have really thought about this".
" I have". I smiled. " I mean business".
Cogburn stared at my sugar sack. " What's in there?".
I took out the pistol.
" A Colt's Dragoon". Cogburn frowned. " What are you doing with that piece?".
" It belonged to my father". I showed him the pistol. " I intend to kill Tom Chaney with it".
" Well baby sister". He looked at me. " That pistol will do the job".
I stared at Cogburn. " Do you know a robber named Lucky Ned Pepper?".
" Do I know him?". He grinned. " I shot him last August". Cogburn smiled. " He was plenty lucky that day".
" I heard Chaney is riding with him".
" Well baby sister, I don't believe you have fifty dollars".
" I will in a day or two".
" If you're hungry, I will give you supper". He smiled. " We can talk it over then".


research help: ' True Grit' by Charles Portis


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: