Wednesday, April 24, 2024

True Grit page 5

 True Grit page 5 by ric gustafson


I waited outside the courtroom. One of the last ones out was a man about 40 years old. He wore a dusty black suit of clothes. He had a badge on his vest. He held a paper in one hand and a sack of tobacco in the other.
I approached him. " Mr Rooster Cogburn?".
" What is it?".
" I would like to speak to you for a minute".
Cogburn stared at me. " What about?".
" They tell me you are a man with true grit".
" What do you want?". Cogburn squinted at me. " Speak up it's suppertime".
" I am looking for the man who shot and killed my father Frank Ross".
" What is your name girl?".
" My name is Mattie Ross". I stared at Cogburn. " The man I'm looking for his name is Tom Chaney".
Cogburn stared at me. " Chaney?".
" He is over in the Indian Territory". My voice hesitated. " I need somebody to go after him".
Cogburn thought for a moment. " How much?".


research help: ' True Grit' by Charles Portis


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: