Monday, April 15, 2024

True Grit page 4

 True Grit page 4 by ric gustafson


Yarnell and I went to see the Undertaker. He was an Irishman. He took Yarnell and I to a room in the back. I looked at the coffin he had placed Papa in. The body was wrapped in a white shroud.
He held a candle to his face. " Is this he?".
I frowned. " That is my Papa".
He put a lid on the casket.
We went to the Coroner's office. I signed some papers. It cost over $60 dollars for the coffin and the embalming. I paid him and got a receipt. 
I found the sheriff. He told me Tom Chaney was now in the Indian Nation. " Can you go after him?".
" We have no authority in the Indian Nation". He frowned at Mattie. " That is the business of the U.S. Marshals".
" I will inform them myself about Chaney". Mattie looked at the sheriff. " Who is the best marshal they have?".
" As far as the meanest". He smiled. " It's Rooster Cogburn".


research help: ' True Grit' by Charles Portis


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: