Thursday, April 11, 2024

True Grit page 3

 True Grit page 3 by ric gustafson


I rode the train to Fort Smith to see about Papa's body. A family friend named Yarnell Poindexter came with me. I had 100 dollars expense money and a signed letter. The letter had Lawyer Daggett's name on it. The train was full. There was to be a triple hanging at the Federal Court House. 
Fort Smith Arkansas was near Indian Territory. It did have a big wide street named Garrison Avenue. I was told at the Sherriff's Office that I had to talk to the High Sherriff about Papa's death. The Sherriff had gone to the hanging. The Undertaker was not open. He also had gone to the hanging.
Yarnell and I decided to go the hanging like everyone else. Two white men and an Indian in black hoods were at their nooses. Yarnell put a hand over my face. I pushed it away. I wanted to see it.
After it was over, Yarnell and I went to the Undertaker to see Papa.


research help: ' True Grit' by Charles Portis


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: