Monday, December 29, 2014

Happy Birthday Prodigal Son page 2

Happy Birthday Prodigal Son page 2 by ric Gustafson


Jeff graduated from high school with honors and was enjoying working for my Dad at the plant. The plant was doing well and Dad was establishing investments for Jeff and I. During the summer before my senior year, I asked Dad for some of my investment money. I told him I wanted to travel, relax and try to discover myself.  Dad was not happy but gave me the money. Jeff began to get jealous of me because he was slaving away at the plant and I wanted to go out and enjoy the world.
I left with just a backpack and my investment money. For the next two years I stayed in motels, ate at greasy diners and sometimes would buy alcohol or drugs. During this time, I heard my father still loved me and was patiently waiting for me to return home. I also heard that Jeff was getting more and more jealous of me and getting angry at my father.
I had trouble finding a job because I did not have a high school diploma. My investment money began to run out. Eventually, I got a job working on a pig farm shoveling slop to hogs. I got so hungry that I considered eating what I was feeding to the hogs. At this time, I began thinking about our middle class home and that we had plenty to eat. My stomach now was always growling and I was starving. I decided to go back home, get on my knees and apologize to my father. I hope that Jeff will forgive me also. The next morning, I put on my backpack and started for home.


research help: original story


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: