Tuesday, April 19, 2016

the Kommandant page 2

the Kommandant page 2 by ric Gustafson


When World War I began, I asked my mother if I could volunteer with the Red Cross. I saw the seriously wounded in the hospital. I saw the dead and the dying. I wanted to be a soldier and I did not want to miss this war. I was able to join even though I was only fifteen.
I remember my first taste of combat. Our cavalry unit was attacked by New Zealanders and Indians. It was in this attack that I killed my first enemy. In early 1917, I was wounded . I recovered at a hospital in Wilhelma. When the war ended I was seventeen. I was decorated with the Iron Cross.
Now with the war over, I was not sure what to do.


research help: ' The Commandant' by Jurg Amann


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: