Thursday, October 10, 2024

Holy Land page 2

 Holy Land page 2 by ric gustafson


On the buffet table, I see wedges of cheese, steel bowls of fruit and baskets of pastries. The table had white tablecloths, serving spoons and more plates. My coffee an espresso is put on the table. I say Toda thank you. There is watermelon a bowl of pale orange cantaloupe and cubes of cool green honeydew. There is pineapple, orange and grapefruit wedges. There are green and red grapes. There is white apple slices.
There is a bowl of dates. There is a bowl of Kalamata olives. There is green olives and black wrinkled olives. There is a bowl of diced tomatoes, red peppers, cucumbers and scallions. There is pink tuna salad in a nest of lettuce leaves. 
There is cheese. Wedges of white, yellow and orange. There is a bowl of hardboiled eggs. There is bread. There is a basket of croissants. There is sliced bread and small iced buns. There is puff pastries. And more.
Lastly, there is that herbed yogurt looking dish?. What is that called?. I heard the name Laban or Labneh?. And what is that mix of cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes and scallions?. Is it Israeli Salad?.
Whatever these dishes and food is I love them!. 
It is my first taste of Israel. So from this restaurant to the walls across the little valley a ravine actually I see low white buildings on the forested sides of Mt Zion. I see the belltower and that blue round roof.
I ask the waiter for a cappuccino?. He brings it. I say Toda. He says Bevakasha. 
Now I will tell you the story of what happened when I arrived at the airport and met Shmuel.


research help: ' Gather the Olives' by Bret Lott


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: