Wednesday, August 14, 2024

True Grit page 40

 True Grit page 40 by ric gustafson


I stood in my family's plot. The grave marker in front of me read ' Reuben Cogburn 1835-1903'. Chen Lee filled me in on what happened to the Marshal after he got me back to Fort Smith. He got into trouble in Fort Gibson. He killed two men. He had to surrender his federal badge,
He moved to San Antonio Texas and then Wyoming. Eventually, Rooster in 1903 joined the Cole Younger Frank James Wild West show. While they were performing in Jonesboro Arkansas, Rooster died. Frank James told me that he had been suffering from a night hoss disorder.
As I walked away from the grave marker, I smiled. Reuben Cogburn had true grit.

The End.


research help: ' True Grit' by Charles Portis


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: