Tuesday, August 13, 2024

True Grit page 39

 True Grit page 39 by ric gustafson


LaBoeuf was holding his injured head. Cogburn threw me on top of Little Blackie. He got on. He rode up to the Texan.
" I must get baby sister to a doctor". He frowned. " Or she's not going to make it".
LaBoeuf grinned. " Goodbye Mattie Ross".
Cogburn spurred Little Blackie. The pony galloped across the meadow, down steep and brushy hills. 
I began to cry because of my broken arm. Once we got through the mountains, we headed north toward Fort Smith. At the Poteau River, Little Blackie could not go any further. Cogburn commandeered a wagon and a team of mules. After reaching Fort Smith at breakneck speed, I blacked out.
I was told it was too late to save my arm. It was amputated.


research help: ' True Grit' by Charles Portis


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: