Saturday, August 10, 2024

True Grit page 37

 True Grit page 37 by ric gustafson


While LaBoeuf and I were celebrating, Tom Chaney quietly picked up a huge rock and broke LaBoeuf's head. The Texan groaned in agony.
In anger, I picked up the old dragoon revolver. I cocked the hammer. I pulled the trigger. The ball went into Chaney's head. The kick of the revolver drove me backwards into the pit.
Down and down I fell. When I hit the bottom, I hit it hard. I felt as if the wind was knocked from my lungs. I lay still until I had regained my breath.
I tried to move. I could not. My arms were pinned. I winced. I looked and noticed my left forearm was bent. It looked like my left arm was broken. I winced again.
" LaBoeuf help". I cried out. " Can you hear me?".
I looked around for a stick to help my arm. Then I cried out. Next to me was a skeleton. There was a shirt around his midsection. I pulled at the skeleton's ribcage. I saw something move in the rib cage. I screamed. It was a ball of rattlesnakes.


research help: ' True Grit' by Charles Portis


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: