Monday, August 12, 2024

True Grit page 38

 True Grit page 38 by ric gustafson


At one point, I heard a shout. Then I heard a scuffle. Then I heard the noise of Cogburn's rifle stock crunching the head of Tom Chaney. Then I felt a large object hitting the floor next to me. It was the body of Tom Chaney.
" Are you all right baby sister?".
" Help". I yelled. " I need help".
" I am going to pitch down a rope". Cogburn's voice hesitated. " Fasten it under your arms and tie it with a good knot".
" Hurry". I was afraid. " There are snakes all around me".
Cogburn slowly lowered himself down to where I was.
I was confused. " Who is up there with the rope?". 
" I am".
I smiled. It was LaBoeuf.
Cogburn made sure the rope was secured around me. " He's going to pull us out of this pit on top of your horse".
" Little Blackie?".
Cogburn yelled. " We're ready".
On top of Little Blackie, LaBoeuf began to slowly pull us out of the pit.


research help: ' True Grit' by Charles Portis


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: