Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Lazarus page 1

Lazarus page 1 by ric gustafson


I wept thinking about my wife and newborn son lying in a newly cut tomb. My dear Eliza had died in childbirth and a part of me died too. I stood in front of their grave, spoke the final words of Kaddish and then put two stones on it for remembrance. The days of mourning were over so I decided to go to the Bethany synagogue to get into a cool bath. As I stepped out of the water, I was greeted by my childhood friend Judah ben Perez. He was a widower also.
" David ben Lazarus" he said with a smile. " The peace of HaShem is with you".
" And with you".
" Have you heard the latest news from Jerusalem my friend?".
I had heard nothing from the outside world in the last month. " What news is that?".
" The new Roman Governor, Pontius Pilate has been talking with Caiaphas and Annas". He smiled at me. " Unrest is arising because a prophet or lunatic named John is in the wilderness east of the Jordan preaching against Rome and Herod Antipas".
We passed a group of village women carrying laundry baskets as we walked back toward my house.
" Lazarus, would you like to go meet him?".
As we reached our home, my sister Martha was waiting for us in the doorway. " Shalom Judah, will you join us for a meal that I have just prepared?".
" Of course".


research help: ' When Jesus Wept' by Bodie and Brock Thoene


Peace and God's blessings. Love Ric

No comments: